Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Love the Old Hymns

I have been a true lover of hymns since I first became a Christian more than 20 years ago. It seems to me that the old hymn writers knew just how to express how I felt about things such as worship, the majesty of God, the sinfulness of man, etc... I've even written some posts about a few particular hymns that have meant alot to me over the years.

Much to my delight, Robert Cottrill left a comment on one such post I wrote about the hymn Close to Thee. I was thrilled to find he had a website dedicated to the hymns called Wordwise Hymns. He writes a lot of "today in history" about hymns and hymn writers. In the header of his blog you'll find these words..."Discussing the History and Biblical themes of the Hymns of the Church." That is precisely what he blogs about. You'll find topics like:
  • What makes a good hymn
  • Suffering hymn writers
  • Historical issues
  • Edification and entertainment
  • and lots more!
If you love the old hymns like I do, I really believe you'll enjoy this blog! I found it fascinating and it will definitely be a place I frequent! :)

9 comments:

The Thrifty Countrywoman said...

Lori

We are kindred spirits! I was thinking about doing a post about my favorite hymn, Simple Gifts. Let Us Ever Walk With Jesus, was sung at our wedding, so that one has special meaning to me too.

Jane

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Being raised as a catholic, i was not really exposed to much in the way of hymns. Then, after getting saved in 78', most of the music we were exposed to as "full gospel" believers, was contemporary. Occasionally an old hymn would be sung, which everyone around us would know, but not us!!! We have discovered some of these oldies and love them! The group Selah has a CD called Greatest Hymns which I play often. Also, Jars of Clay has one called Redemption Songs that we also love.

Sandra said...

We have a couple of the books about where hymns came from, the story behind them. I am definately going to check this site out.

Alea said...

Thank you for the link!

We all love hymns. My daughter often sits down to the piano in the evening to plays hymns and we have a family "sing". If we skip a couple of days, my 2 yo will climb on the piano, bang on the keys, and sing "O, vic tree in Jesus" until someone sits down and starts accompanying him.

HOPE said...

Lori..you have humbled me..with your gracious comment on my sewing!

I too adore the OLD hymns..they spoke of real trials and closeness to our LORD.

I have so many favorites that always bring tears to my eyes as they truly relate to my own heart.

God bless you and thank you for your sweet friendship and encouraging comments.

HOPE!

Conny said...

Oh me too!! We can agree on OLD HYMNS, that's for sure! :) I grew up singing only hymns & my church now uses only traditional music (hymns) for congregational singing.
At our wedding, we used 2 hymns ("Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us" and the congregation sang, "To God Be the GLory" as walked down the aisle after the ceremony). Hymns mean SO MUCH to me too.

Samantha said...

Hi Lori,
I will check this out, I absolutely love the old hymns.

Thanks for sharing this, blessings to you sweet friend !

prashant said...

I am definately going to check this site out.

Work from home India

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Thanks for the kind recommendation of my site. I've written on over a thousand hymns now, and have had visits from more than 153,000 folks from all over the world. Your love of the great hymns of the faith is definitely shared by many! God bless.