Saturday, July 11, 2009

Homemade Fabric Softener

I tried making something I've wanted to try for a while now...homemade fabric softener. I love using fabric softener but it is so expensive, I just can't justify the cost...unless I can get it at a spectacular buy using coupons! I love how it makes the clothes smell. I hang all of my laundry on the clothesline...rain or shine...winter or summer. I have a line on my back porch for those rainy days and I also have a drying rack for inside. I also use homemade laundry detergent...which means my clothes get clean, but they really don't have that *good* smell to them. They just smell *clean*...which is good...but I like a *good* smell. :)

So anyway, I found this recipe at Farming on Faith's blog. I'll share the recipe here but be sure to go to Carrie's blog and read more about it.

Homemade Fabric Softener
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 2 cups hair conditioner (I used Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily...mmm, smells good)
  • 6 cups water

Just mix it all up in a jug and you're done. :) Carrie uses 4-5 drops of Downy essential oil. But I think it has a wonderful smell without it, so I skipped that part although I love the smell of Downy!

It's really very easy to make and yes, it works very well.

4 comments:

TammyLee said...

I love the smell of Downy too. But I mostly use sheets, not liquid. I dont always catch the rinse cycle, ooppps!! :)

I may try this. Can you share your recipe for detergent?

Pam B said...

I was running low on fabric softener so I decided to make this last night about 10 PM. I've used vinegar in the rinse cycle before as we hang most of our laundry. I was concerned about the conditioner not mixing well and ending up lumpy, but it actually turned out really well. I had about 1/4 of a large jug of my regular fabric softener left, so I just mixed it directly in that jug along with the old softener. It worked great - and such a money saver! Can't wait until I need to do some laundry so I can test it out. :)

Pam B said...

I forgot to say that I would also love to see your recipe for laundry detergent.

Lori said...

Tammy Lee...if I didn't have an automatic fabric softener dispenser in my washing machine...I would never remember to catch the rinse cycle! LOL!

PamB...I'm glad you liked the softener. I love it. It's just too easy NOT to make, isn't it? But girl, you have more energy than I do making it at 10 PM! LOL!