Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fish in the Freezer

Last week, we went fishing on the lake as we often do during the spring and summer months. Sometimes we catch fish...sometimes we don't. Last week...we hit the jackpot. :) We caught 23 Freshwater Drum. I had never eaten any drum before, but they were oh, so good! It was enough to make 3 meals for our family of five! We ate one fish meal the day after we caught them. There's just nothing like fresh fish!!

Because there was so much fish, I really wasn't sure how I wanted to freeze them. In the end, instead of freezing them in just one big lump....I decided I would go ahead and bread them with cornmeal and freeze them individually on cookie sheets. Once they were frozen individually, I put them in bigger Rubbermaid-type containers and froze them. If you're fortunate enough to have one of those food sealers, that'd be even better! The picture below isn't the greatest, but it'll give you an idea what it looks like...

Yesterday my husband wanted fish again. It was the easiest thing in the world to get as many fish out of the container as we needed. I didn't even let them thaw completely...just heated up my oil and fried them! They tasted just as fresh as the day we caught them. THIS is how I'll be freezing fish from now on! :)

This post is linked to Kitchen Tip Tuesday!

10 comments:

Sandra said...

That's a good idea Lori. I always freeze mine in water, in one hard lump.

Melissa said...

Good idea! Breading fish (chicken, etc.) always makes a mess--at least when I do it!--so doing it all at once makes a lot of sense.

DarcyLee said...

You had a really good day of fishing! Breading them before you freeze them is a super great idea too. I'll be trying that the next time my husband brings home some fish. And yes, fresh fish is the best.

Lenetta @ Nettacow said...

So what's the recipe for your breading? :>) I'm TERRIBLE at frying. But I suppose I just need more practice . . .

Samantha said...

Hi Lori,
What a great idea, I have never breaded our fish before freezing. I wasnt sure if it would do as well frying, I will definitely try this next time we have fresh fish.
Thanks again for the great ideas,dear friend.

Renee said...

Great ideal! Thanks for the tip.

lady m's lavender cottage said...

Lori,

How grand! Fresh fish! When I was growing up, we also had quite a bit of fried fish just caught minutes before going in the big iron cauldron...righ there on the beach ;) yummm!

But now, I don't fry the fish, I bake it - not the same but still quite tasty!

Thank you dear friend for sharing your day with us,

lady m

Stephanie said...

My husband and son have gone out fishing every few days but haven't caught anything yet. I am sure they will one of these days, so this will come in handy! They are trying to get some trout. I have never heard of the kind of fish you caught. As for me, no fish. Blech! Can hardly stand the smell, never mind eating it!

Lori said...

Lenetta, no recipe here...I just dredge the fish in cornmeal. :) Very easy.

Lady M...oh I can't imagine cooking fish right on the beach! Talk about fresh!! :) Oh I bet that was so good.

Stephanie, we've had our fair share of fishing all day and catching a fish about as big as a minnow! LOL! Those days are more often than the BIG HAUL days! :) But it's always fun, even if you don't catch a thing.

Thanks for the comments y'all!

Lynn said...

This is such a super tip, Lori! Next time I have a big lump of fish I'm going to try it :)