Monday, May 11, 2009

What To Do With Leftover Beans

Often, I'll cook up a bag of pinto beans...soup beans, we call them at my house. :) Since my kids won't always polish off a whole bag of beans in one setting, I often have leftovers. But what to do with them? Serve them again the same way a second time? Nah! Not at my house. Here's what we do with the leftovers:

Bean and Potato Fry
  • leftover cold, drained, cooked pinto beans

  • potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cubed

  • 1 onion, chopped

** For every cup of beans you have, use half that amount of diced potatoes.

In a large skillet, heat several tablespoons of oil. Add the potatoes and onions and cook about 15 minutes. Add DRAINED beans and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender. Salt and pepper to taste and serve! You'll be surprised how good these are. :) I usually serve this with cornbread and another vegetable.

I can't do a precise breakdown of the cost of this meal, because we grow our own potatoes and onions, and some years we even grow our own beans. A bag of dried beans will cost about $1, so I'm guessing if you're having to buy your onions and potatoes, this meal will be under $3. Pretty cheap frugal, eh? :)

This post is linked to $5 Dinner Challenge!

5 comments:

Conny said...

My husband loves soup beans, he loves potatoes (esp fried) and he loves cooked onions...so I think this would be a winner at our house too.
I'm glad you're sharing your recipes. Although I grew up in E. TN, my mom was German so I never learned to cook like this! :)

Samantha said...

I will have to try this, we love pinto beans and potatoes would go so good with them like this, thanks for this great recipe !

Sandra said...

I never thought of putting them with potatoes.

lady m's lavender cottage said...

Dear Lori,

Thank you for this tip. I also have never put potatoes and beans together in this manner, but it makes sense...beans are a source of protein and potatoes is a starch, now all you need is a vegetable and you have a full meal :)

blessings,

lady m

The American Homemaker said...

That looks like a good way to serve them :)